Google chrome certificate NOT trusted

When running kaisen-update I am getting the following error:

Err:3 https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate issuer is unknown. The name in the certificate does not match the expected. Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: x.x.x.x 443]

Strangely, I do not have chrome installed!? (I may have had it installed in the past).

Any issue here?

Michel

Hello,

The date and time probably not up-to-date.

Hi Kevin,

Which date and time? My system date and time is correct (hardware on UTC and system on AWST).

Okay, you may remove the repository, if you don’t use Google Chrome :slight_smile:

Well, that is the issue. Under the /etc/apt directories I cannot find any references to chrome in any of the files!

?

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list

As I said in my earlier post: Under the /etc/apt directories I cannot find any references to chrome in any of the files!

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list. simply does not exist.

And in the /etc/apt/sources.list file?

I don’t see another path for the list of the repos.

No, nowhere at all under the /etc/apt directory and sub-directories!!??

That is what got me stumped. I assumed they may have been a kaisen specific, well hidden and unorthodox way of doing the kaisen-update.

This worries me as I am not a fan of google in any way. It starting to look like an exploit perhaps?

Sorry,

But I don’t understand your problem. In Kaisen, all repositories can be found in the /etc/apt directory, respectively in the /etc/apt/sources.list or in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/???.list

I didn’t add the chrome repository by default.

Probably due to a software installed on your computer? Do you have added another repositories on Kaisen?

Do you use Flatpak or snap?

But I don’t understand your problem. In Kaisen, all repositories can be found in the /etc/apt directory, respectively in the /etc/apt/sources.list or in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/???.list

That is what I thought. But there are definitely no references to google-chrome there.

I do not have flatpak or snap installed either.

I didn’t add the chrome repository by default.

I tried an apt update straight after a kaisen-update and guess what: I again got the “certificate verification failed” message!

So the issue must be with apt, but I have no idea where apt would look outside of /etc/apt to get a directory address?

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. The issue seems to be with apt itself now and NOT with kaisen. :slight_smile:

So you can close this issue.

If I find the solution/cause, I will post back here, otherwise I may go to a hardened version of Debian when Bookworm is release (in about a month time I think) for a while. I do tend to become paranoid when there is something happening I do not understand. :slight_smile: I try to operate in an extremely secure environment. As a matter of fact it is my perimeter router with snort that detected the attempt to connect to the google-chrome repo.

1 Like