Can't install nvidia driver on Kaisen GNU/Linux 2.1

I’m trying to install nvidia driver for my MSI prestige 15 laptop, neofetch can detect both my intel and nvidia graphic card

Running nvidia-detect reveals my gpu but with some error

However I’m having problem installing driver for nvidia,

Here’s what I’ve tried
1. Installing legacy-390xx from apt

• dpkg --purge raspi-firmware following kevin’s advice in this topic and update+upgrade apt

• installing nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver and nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms from apt

After installation:

→ nvidia-smi shows
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

→ lspci | grep “VGA” can’t detect any nvidia driver

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)

2. Adding ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
→ Result

raise NoDistroTemplateException(
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Kaisen/rolling

This sucks a lot since the graphics-driver ppa is the most common solution and it contains valid nvidia drivers for many distros, I can add this ppa and install from apt just fine on Ubuntu 20.04

Is there anyway to properly install nvidia driver for kaisen ?

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Don’t use too many PPA repositories on Kaisen or a pure Debian base (not Ubuntu), because it can indeed bring this kind of problems for some software installed via these repositories.
You should rather make a request to add software here on the forum via a dedicated topic in the feedback section.

Did you install the nvidia-driver package with the command sudo apt install nvidia-driver?

Ah there it is, installing nvidia-driver after the legacy drivers fixed the issue ! I now got nvidia driver and CUDA for ML projects :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s the full flow for anyone who finds it useful

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt install libnvidia-legacy-390xx-glcore  nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
sudo apt install nvidia-driver
sudo reboot

Kaisen is new and may take a few tweaks to get it runs nicely but once you get through it it really does pack a punch! I’ve never seen any distro with this kind of capability for DevOps before, all straight out of the box. Thank you so much Kevin for the development of this amazing distro @Kaisen

1 Like

Hello,

Glad this solution worked, but I had already installed it because I have an NVIDIA in one of my computers :wink:

What adjustments are you talking about? What do you have in mind?

Thanks for the compliment! That’s what Kaisen is all about, creating a specialized distribution for IT! Glad you like it! Hope to see you back here too :slight_smile: