Can't update nor install packages due to broken initramfs

Hello, I was playing around with Kaisen on a VM for the past couple of weeks but when I finally decided to bite the bullet and install it on real hardware I could no longer update initramfs, and update nor install any software that is vital to my system to function such as NVIDIA’s proprietary drivers. I have never had this bug occur in standard Debian to my knowledge, but it is apparently due to not having /boot/firmware mounted, which was never created nor installed in my filesystem at any time. This happens in the KDE/LXQT/XFCE versions of Kaisen, and I haven’t tried MATE yet. Does anyone have any pointers on how to solve this issue? I have linked a screenshot of my attempts to sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
screenshot-e5e31720

Hello,

Thanks for your post and the interest in Kaisen.

To solve this problem, you just need to remove (with purge) the raspi-firmware package with the command sudo dpkg --purge raspi-firmware.

Also avoid using the sudo apt upgrade command.
On Kaisen, use the apt full-upgrade command instead. Or use the kaisen-update command (with sudo), which automates the process of updating and cleaning dependencies.

3 Likes